While working with my peers, I often see the struggle during a brainstorm on what ideas to go for first. Should we introduce a new app to the client? Maybe have coverage from a certain network? However they need to be reminded that there needs to be a central theme to the campaign, and not just going straight for the next “big idea”.
In my campaigns class (which is my exit requirement for my degree) we are working on a pitch to a restaurant as our final project. My entire team is coming up with ideas, which they might be great in theory, but they are doing this all without the backup of research, and are forgetting the companies tone.
Remember, a company isn’t going to pick up an idea that isn’t central to the companies core values and tone. A funny, outgoing company with hilarious commercial ads isn’t going to pick up a commercial with a serious connotation.
Here are some tips on how to understand the company from every angle:
1. Research their past campaigns. What was the vibe of it? Funny, serious, informational, etc.
2. Look at how they executed them. Was it through print ads? Commercials? Watch and read about 60% of their past campaigns to make sure it’s not something they’ve seen already.
3. Gather your information. If you’re target audience is middle-aged business men, and you’re introducing an idea meant for teenagers, they won’t go for it.
4. During the presentation, make sure to mimic the tone of the company. Don’t try to be something they’re not. Make them feel “at home” with a presentation that will carry their tone, as well as the ideas.
5. Come up with a central theme. Maybe your strategy is to increase sales by giving the customer what they want, and when they want it, and to execute it, you want to do this through the use of a new app. Why is the app important? Does it go with the theme of giving the customer what they want? How will the customer benefit? Make sure it all related back to the main idea, and be sure to convince them that this will work.
Use these tips to create a great strategy, and wow the account.